CHOICES for the ACTOR and DIRECTOR OBJECTIVE
In rehearsal, you discover the different CHOICES for each line and phrase. The CHOICE you finally decide on becomes the ACTOR'S OBJECTIVE. The RADIO DRAMA DIRECTOR helps the actor examine different CHOICES. MOOD NOTES on the SCRIPT guide the actor in the OBJECTIVE. The NOTE gives the preferred OBJECTIVE. MOOD NOTES FOR THE ACTORS - supporting your actors with detailed guided notes on emotions and interpretations
DIRECTING THE ACTOR - objective, obstacle, subtext, adjustment, choices, objective
EXAMPLE from 'The Canterbury Vampires' - Episodes 6-10 - 'Salem'
EXAMPLE - FINDING CHOICES for the characters in this episode. Read this scene. EXAMPLE CHOICES ARE BELOW.
EXAMINE THE CHOICES
DON'T SETTLE FOR THE FIRST CHOICE THAT OCCURS
DON'T BE A LAZY ACTOR
DON'T BE A LAZY DIRECTOR
PROFESSIONAL ACTORS work fast. They move through a range of various CHOICES. PROFESSIONAL ACTORS move through these CHOICES with more variety. This is the result of experience and of applied imagination. AMATEUR ACTORS can settle for the first CHOICE. This can be lazy and inhibiting. DIRECTORS have to encourage more exploration of CHOICES. The hard work has to be done as a team. DO NOT SETTLE FOR THE FIRST CHOICE. Always look for more.
INTERIOR. LOCATION: STUDENT DINING HALL. JUKE BOX FAR IN BACKGROUND. STUDENTS EATING LUNCH. SOUND CENTRE WITH PENELOPE.
CHARACTERS: PENELOPE, CHARITY
SUMMARY OF SCENE: CHARITY meets PENELOPE and is challenged to reveal her magic. She is embarrassed. Listeners are reintroduced to CHARITY (INEXPERIENCED GIRL) and PENELOPE (FEISTY GIRL).
TECHNICAL NOTE 1: 6.1-3 (THREE SCENES HERE) ARE SET IN THE STUDENT DINING HALL. THERE ARE CROSSFADES BETWEEN 6.1 AND 6.2, AND 6.2 AND 6.3. THE RADIO DRAMA CONVENTION IS THIS: CROSSFADE INTO ATMOS - BRING UP ATMOS - BRING DOWN ATMOS - CROSSFADE ATMOS INTO NEXT SCENE
TECHNICAL NOTE 2: NUDGE UP THE ATMOS AT ONE OR TWO PLACES (6.3) IN THESE SCENES TO REMIND THE LISTENERS ABOUT THE LOCATION
TECHNICAL NOTE 3: SET THE LEVEL OF THE BACKGROUND ATMOS 'STUDENT DINING HALL' SPARINGLY. IT IS A FUSSY ATMOS
1. FX. CROSSFADE UP ATMOS WITH THE EPISODE INTRO MUSIC - see - Music signature tune for the top and bottom of each episode = sig tune
2. PENELOPE: Charity! Over here!
3. CHARITY: Hi gang! How's it going?
4. PENELOPE: A lot better if I didn't have to eat this rubbish.
5. CHARITY: Are these eggs supposed to be grey?
6. PENELOPE: Maybe we should magic them into something edible?
7. CHARITY: Honestly hun, I really don't think I'm that powerful.
8. FX. CROSSFADE TO NEXT SCENE - BRING UP ATMOS 'STUDENT DINING HALL', AND THEN DOWN UNDER
OBSTACLE - PENELOPE is CHARITY's OBSTACLE
EXAMPLE CHOICES for PENELOPE as FEISTY GIRL - attractive, pushy, selfish, sexy, attacking, intelligent, envied
2. PENELOPE: Charity! Over here! [AGREED OBJECTIVES : dominating, falsely friendly - REJECTED CHOICE attacking - REJECT - overly warm]
3. CHARITY: Hi gang! How's it going? [AGREED OBJECTIVES : innocent - worried - REJECT defensive]
4. PENELOPE: A lot better if I didn't have to eat this rubbish. [AGREED OBJECTIVES : smart, delivering one-liner]
5. CHARITY: Are these eggs supposed to be grey? [AGREED OBJECTIVES : innocent - 'feed line']
6. PENELOPE: Maybe we should magic them into something edible? [#NOTE: what the scene is about - AGREED OBJECTIVES : demanding]
7. CHARITY: Honestly hun, I really don't think I'm that powerful. [AGREED OBJECTIVES : sympathetic - worried - conceding - REJECT defeated]
This site is 'Radio Drama - directing, acting, technical, learning & teaching, researching, styles, genres'. See INDEX to navigate also. Complete curriculum of scripts, techniques (acting & directing & post-production & genre styles), advice, sound files - effects and atmoses (with no copyright and so free to use), detailed script commentaries, etc.
Academic material on this site is Alan Beck is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Learn about radio drama on this site along with my book - Beck, Alan, Radio Acting, London: A & C Black ISBN 0-7136-4631-4 Available on Amazon. CLICK HERE.
Any opinions expressed in this site are the personal opinions of the owner of the site. IF YOU HAVE COMMENTS, PLEASE EMAIL TO : firstname.lastname@example.org