Think script when recording
From the start of scripting, think ahead to how you will realise this in production. Do not make problems for yourself. Of course, you must be prepared to redraft while you are in production.
Student Emily says:
I had an interesting problem arise when I recorded a scene meant to be performed in a 'workshop' location (4.1.2).
Monday 8.15pm. Interior. Characters: Aurora, Brenton.
MUSIC FROM PREVIOUS SCENE CROSS FADES OUT INTO TUNNELS ATMOS.
BRENTON AND AURORA ARE CARRYING OUT ORDERS FROM MORPHEUS FOR THE UPCOMING KIDNAP.
THEY ARE TO BUILD A CAGE THAT TYRA WILL BE TRAPPED IN.
IT'S DIFFICULT AND THEY ARE ANNOYED. THERE IS BANGING AND CLANGING THROUGHOUT THE SCENE (FX & SPOT)
1. AURORA: The stupid door won't fit on. (banging, clanging, squeaking as she forces the hinges)
2. BRENTON: That's because the hinges aren't welded on properly! Moron!
3. AURORA: Well, weld them on properly then, smarty. (FX. Smash) (Frustrated)- you didn't tell me why Morpheus is making us do this. What's the idea this time? Let me guess, we're going to wipe out the whole of Canterbury again?
4. . BRENTON: I told you, we're making a cage to kidnap Tyra in. Pliers?
5. AURORA: (hands him pliers) Tyra? What's she ever done to Morpheus?
6. BRENTON: Well, after all, she is pretty keen on Chancer. You know Morpheus is well touchy about that...
7. AURORA: I wonder why he's so protective over him? Maybe he digs him too!?! Screwdriver please.
8. BRENTON: (hands her the screwdriver) As if! Nah, I'm sure he's straight. Wasn't he married once?
9. AURORA: Yeah, but then, so was Elton what-'is-name Anyway, I wouldn't mind a quickie with Chancer. I don't want her getting those perfectly manicured hands all over him. Gimme the hammer.
10. BRENTON: You're always going for guys well out of your league! Then it's reject time!
11. FX OR SPOT: AURORA STARTS BANGING.
12. BRENTON: And stop banging on nail like that. It's crooked! Here, allow me
13. AURORA: No! I'm doing it. Pass me the power tool.
14. BRENTON: (sniggers) Here Madam. (passes her the tool).
15. FX & SPOT: MORE BANGING AND FUMBLING AROUND. SHE GRUNTS AND GROANS. HUM OF POWER TOOL. PAUSE. SHORT SILENCE.
16. AURORA: So why's he kidnapping her? Why doesn't he just eat her like everybody else?
17. AURORA: Wants something from her 'magical' little friends.Don't really know....grab that. Let's try the door again.
18 FX. GREAT MASSIVE CRASH AS DOOR FAILS AGAIN. YOU CAN HEAR "BLAST!" AND "BOTHER" WHISPERED UNDER THEIR BREATHS.
19. STRAIGHT CUT
Without paying particular attention to this detail, I focussed on the words in the scene, and recorded it. I then tried to post-produce it, and realised how unrealistic it sounded to have actors drilling, hammering and using power tools yet speaking to each other in their normal speaking voices. It was such an obvious mistake that my only choice was to re-record that scene, this time having them shout the words to each other as if trying to compete with the other 'workshop noises' that are surrounding them. This worked much better and is a mistake which in the "real world" would have cost me in time, actor's wages and studio space - none of which I could probably afford.
At other times, I got so carried away in post production that I ignored my script instructions for music bridges or fade ins/outs. This only became obvious towards the end of the project when I was trying to paste the scenes together into episodes, and found that I had ignored the script instructions .
aurora and brenton
The Fastest SFTP (SSH) anywhere, Go FTP FREE